The programme started in 1997 with about 40 students at the main campus in Mukono. In 2010 due to student population growth, the Department of Social work was created to facilitate easy administration of the programe. The Department now has two programmes namely Bachelor of social work & social administration and Diploma social work and social administration with over 800 students including students from Rwanda, Kenya, Tanzania, Southern Sudan and Burundi.
What is Unique about the Department
Social work and Social Administrative programme at Uganda Christian University is one of the most popular private programmes in Uganda that has over the years attracted large student numbers.
The popularity of this programme originates from the fact that it’s a professional course designed to train generalist social workers. The curriculum stresses integration of appropriate knowledge of human behavior, social welfare, policy, services and research to creatively blend values and skills that necessitate intervention at micro, macro and mezzo levels of intervention. Lastly the department has attracted several well grounded social work lectures by training and practice.
- Strengthening professional development of the Social Work graduates through specialized practicum practice.
- Designing Masters of Social Work (MSW)post graduate programme with specializations in either clinical practice or social policy.
- Forging more net works with both social and human service organizations that will enrich our community outreach initiatives.
- Engaging in evidence based research to generate knowledge that will inform social policy and programming in Uganda and Africa.
List of Courses offered in the Department of Social Work and Social Administration.
- Bachelor of Arts in Social Work and Social Administration (BA)
- Diploma in Social Work and Social Administration (BA)
Social Work Students Association
The association is the stuent's guild link and initiative to carry out seminars, workshops and outreach projects that are aimed at promoting social work identity, professionalism and belongingness at University.
Social Light Foundation
This is a student's initiative based in Mukono with the major aim of economically empowering the youth using their talents.
Tel: +256 777059137
University-wide Staff Resources
To find contact information for our Faculty staff, use the public Uganda Christian University directory. The links below provide pathways for staff resources and information. More information can be found on the websites of each faculty or in the Staff & Administration section of the main website.
Click here Faculty Staff Directory for resource.